I have a general development workflow question related to wordpress development using git.
- three remote repos (ya, separated repos): dev, stg, prd
- local environment with one git repo (dev, stg and prd branches)
My workflow for a deployment:
- pull live site to local prd branch (including database pull, using "Local" tool), in case there were some automatic updates on the live site
- merge local dev into local prd
- push local prd to remote prd (=deployment)
- merge "back" local prd into local dev, in order to have dev up-to-date
Question: Is the workflow ok? I feel that it would be better to omit steps 1 and 4 completely and handle ALL plugin updates etc. on local dev before deployment. However: how, in that case, would I handle structural database changes? How can these be deployed to prd?